Driving & Cars
To obtain a license, learner’s permit, or an ID card in North Carolina, you will need to provide proof of your identity and your date of birth. You will also need to provide proof of your residence address and proof of either a Social Security Number (SSN) or documentation issued by the United States Government indicating legal presence (e.g. your I-20 or DS-2019, visa and I-94 card).
Please note: If you are a new international student, you cannot apply for a driver's license until 5 days after you have completed the OIS Check-in process (and have provided our office with a valid local address - for more information on how to update your address information, please visit this link).
In order to take a look at our brief online tutorial to learn everything you need to know about driving in the U.S., click below:
Driving in the U.S. Online Tutorial
Obtaining a driver’s license
- Call the Department of Motor vehicles (DMV) to make an appointment for testing before you visit your nearest driver’s license office. This will minimize the time needed to complete your application. Be sure to cancel the appointment if it cannot be kept.
- Study the “Driver’s Handbook” thoroughly before taking the written examination. You can view/print the driver handbook at www.ncdot.org/dmv or obtain a copy at OIS.
- Your driver’s license fee can only be paid in cash or by personal check. Credit cards and debit cards are not accepted for payment at the driver’s license office.
- Obtain form DL-123 “Driver License Liability Insurance Certification” or other acceptable proof of liability insurance coverage prior to visiting the driver’s license office. You must present this proof to the license examiner to obtain a license. Your insurance company must be licensed to do business in North Carolina.
- You will be required to provide a vehicle if taking the driving skills test. Your vehicle inspection sticker and license tag must be valid. Insure that your brake lights, turn signals, and horn are operational.
DMV office locations near NC State
1100 New Bern Avenue 27697
2431 Spring Forest Road Unit 101 27615
3231 Avent Ferry Road 27606
1387 SE Maynard Road 27511
NC State Zipcar Program
Zipcar is a car-share program offering the convenience of car ownership without the hassle and expense of having a car on campus. NC State has four brand-new Zipcars available for use at NC State - two Prius hybrids and two Scion XB crossovers. These cars are available to NC State students, faculty and staff to borrow 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The low rate for members includes gas, insurance and roadside assistance. For more information and to join today, visit www.zipcar.com/ncsu