The Fall Alternative Service Break Trips will happen from October 9 to 12 to Atlanta and Washington D.C. to promote, facilitate, and recognize service-learning involvement among the international student community at NC State University. Each year, the Center for Student Leadership, Ethics, and Public Service (CSLEPS) at NC State organizes an Alternative Service Break (ASB) during the Fall break for both domestic and international students. OIS will award eight scholarships of $200 each to help defray the costs of participating in the Fall ASB program. OIS partners with CSLEPS and supports the ASB by offering partial scholarships to eligible international students and promoting ASB and other CSLEPS programs.
OIS-ASB Scholarship Eligibility Requirements:
- Students must be enrolled fulltime at NC State and be in good academic standing
- Students must be in valid nonimmigrant student status (e.g., F-1, J-1)
- Students must have paid the OIS Orientation Fee (e.g., must be enrolled in a graduate or undergraduate degree program – or GTI certificate program)
- Students must not have been awarded a previous ASB scholarship from OIS
- Students must submit a completed ASB application to CSLEPS by the published due date: CSLEPS ASB Washington D.C. and CLEPS ASB Atlanta
- Students must pledge to share their thoughts, summary experience, and photos afterwards with the international community via the OIS newsletter or website
- Preference will be given to first or second year international students and/or who have previously indicated their interest in the ISSERVprograms at OIS (e.g., subscribed to the listserv)
In order to apply, please attend one of these Informational Meetings
Wednesday, August 27 – 1pm
Wednesday, Sepember 3 – 3pm
Thursday, September 4 – 1pm
Tuesday, September 9 – 3pm
Wednesday, September 10 – 3pm (Centennial Campus Innovation Hall)
Thursday, September 11 – 7pm
Monday, September 15 – 3pm
All of the above meetings, except for September 10th, will be held in Talley Student Union 4280
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 16!
No separate application to OIS is necessary. The CSLEPS staff will share the ASB applications which international students submit by the deadline with a selection committee of OIS staff and volunteers who will then nominate eight students to receive a $200 credit toward their participation costs. An email from OIS will go out to the eight scholarship awardees no later than the date of the mandatory ASB team meeting. Recipients must respond to OIS via email within 48 hours of issuance to accept the scholarship and to pledge their intention to share their summary with OIS (see item#6 above). If no response is received within 48 hours, alternative recipients will be selected – provided sufficient time and funds are available.
We know that the ASB experience – and countless other opportunities students have to engage in service learning and volunteer projects – not only make the world a better place, but build local communities and nurture individuals – both giver and receiver. OIS encourages all members of the academic community to give back, give more, and give frequently.