Employment Reminders

If your international students plan on engaging in  OPT, CPT, academic training (for J-1 students) or starting a new on-campus job, there are many things they need to consider in order to maintain their legal status.  Below please find some employment reminders for each type of employment available to international students:

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment for F-1 and J-1 students is limited to 20 hours per week. 20 hours is the total combined number of hours per week if they have multiple on-campus jobs. Only during official semester breaks can students work more than 20 hours per week. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure that they work no more than the allowed number of hours per week. Please work with your student to ensure that it is reflected correctly in the university’s payroll system, KABA. Work beyond the 20 hours per week, including unpaid work, is not permitted and may result in violation of the student’s immigration status.

J-1 students must apply for authorization for on-campus work prior to starting employment. To apply the student completes this OIS form.  F-1 students do not require the same authorization, but both visa types will need to also obtain a social security number if being paid by the university.

Students who are completing their degree requirements this fall semester are not eligible to work on campus after 12/18/2015.

Curricular Practical Training (F-1 Students)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is the type of employment authorization used by students in F-1 status who wish or need to engage in off-campus employment in their field of study when it is a required component of their curriculum, is integral to their thesis or dissertation research (e.g., collecting data or testing hypotheses in a real world industry environment) or is part of a cooperative education program in their field of study.  All international students must be authorized for employment prior to beginning work off-campus.

Please instruct students interested in applying for fall 2015 CPT to follow the instructions and checklist on the OIS website. The forms for CPT have changed, so please let OIS know if you have questions about completing the new forms.

Optional Practical Training (F-1 Students)

Students who are completing their degree programs in the summer are eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) now. If the student will complete in the fall semester, they will be eligible to apply as early as September.  It is recommended that students apply for OPT as early as possible in order to avoid the inevitable late-semester rush and also to help ensure that the OPT application is approved by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in time to be used before the end of the 60 day grace period which follows the program end date. USCIS Service Centers can take up to 90 calendar days to process the OPT application. To start the OPT application process, students have to take part in a brief orientation which gives them an overview of their F-1 status on OPT, the application process, what they can and cannot do while on OPT, etc. For more information, please visit our webpage.

Academic Training (J-1 Students)

Academic Training is work authorization for J-1 students for employment during or after the degree program for positions directly related to the field of study. J-1 students are potentially eligible for one month of Academic Training for each month of their academic program, not to exceed 18 months. Doctoral students are eligible for an additional 18 months of post-doctoral Academic Training, for a total of 36 months.

J-1 students must get authorization from OIS for academic training prior to beginning work. For more information and application deadlines, please visit our webpage.