OIS Spotlight: Anna Grace FitzGerald

Anna Grace

Tell us a little about yourself.

I was born in North Carolina, and raised here in Raleigh since I was 18 months old. I love NC and am very proud to call this place my home. I’m glad that I moved back to Raleigh after college because it has changed so much over the years. I currently live in Downtown Raleigh with my sister, a PhD student here at State, and we are trying to take advantage of all of the wonderful opportunities and events going on around town.

I graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill in 2014, where I received my Bachelor’s in Anthropology and two minors in Music and German Language. I was incredibly indecisive when it came to figuring out what I wanted to study in school, but I am glad I settled on what I did. My education taught me to treat everything as a learning opportunity. I think people are fascinating and I think that we can learn so much from engaging in conversation with one another. I was able to take a summer abroad in Berlin, Germany, where I honed in on my German skills and met some truly amazing people.

That time abroad helped me realize just how important international experiences can be. I’m really fortunate to be able to engage with students and scholars from all over the world here at OIS.

What do you do at OIS? What are your primary responsibilities?

I have been working at OIS since January as an Advising and Programs Intern. When I am focusing on advising, I process a lot of F-1 work authorization requests (OPT). I also handle plenty of initial DS-2019 requests for incoming J-1 Scholars. A current project that I am working on for the programs side of my internship is the blog, Wolfpack World. I have been working with a team of really wonderful, motivated undergraduate students who are part of our Culture to Culture Ambassador Program (CCAP).The CCAP Ambassadors have been writing blog posts with the  goal of providing helpful information to incoming international students as they prepare for their first year here at NC State.

Working at OIS has been such a rewarding opportunity. I get to interact with some brilliant students and scholars who are doing amazing research in their fields. I also get to work with a team of smart, helpful, and thoughtful individuals who truly care about the well being of the international community here at NC State.

What do you like to do in your free time?

When I have free time, I like to:

• take my dog Reggie on long walks – he’s kind of crazy and is super energetic
  • tend to my plants – I have over 50 different types of succulents and cacti
  • read Game of Thrones
  • spend time with my family and friends
  • eat chips and salsa

Where are a few places you have traveled?

The summer after I graduated from UNC, I saved up all of my money and took a trip to visit some family and friends from when I studied in Berlin. In two months time, I visited Amsterdam, Berlin, Istanbul. Copenhagen, Tolne (tiny town in N. Denmark), London, and Dublin. It was awesome.