OIS Spotlight: Hillary Stoker

The OIS is excited to welcome Ms. Hillary Stoker back to the office! For the past year she has been living and working in Virginia, but has recently relocated to Raleigh. She will resume her position in the OIS as an International Student and Scholar advisor.

Tell us a little about yourself. 

I grew up in Ohio, but I hate the cold and snow (which Ohio has a lot of!) so I decided to move south to attend college at Elon University. Elon has a great study abroad program and I was lucky enough to take advantage during my time there. I think that is really where my passion for all things international started. After I graduated Elon I moved to Chapel Hill and worked for a year at UNC in the APPLES Service Learning Office. I really enjoyed working with students, but wanted to get back in to the international education field so I decided to get a masters in it from NC State. And that’s how I was introduced to OIS!

What do you do at OIS? What are your primary responsibilities?

As an international student and scholar advisor my primary responsibility is to help to guide international students and scholars in navigating life in the U.S. Whether they have questions about their immigration status or how  to pay a parking ticket I am here to provide international students and scholars with the appropriate regulations and also help connect them to the appropriate university and community resources.

What do you like to do in your free time?

In my free time I like to hangout with my pets (I have an adorable dog and two crazy cats) and my fiance. I like the outdoors and enjoy hiking and camping. I sew and knit, and draw, and sometimes dabble in photography. I also like just to sit and enjoy a good movie and a good glass of wine.

Where are a few places you have traveled?

I’ve been to the U.K., Ireland, France, China, Tibet, and Mexico.