Are you traveling internationally soon?

 If you plan to travel internationally and will re-enter the U.S. in your F-1 or J-1 status, please make sure your documents are ready for travel! Here’s a quick checklist to review before you go:

When you travel internationally you should carry with you (on your person, not in checked luggage):

  • Valid Passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
  • Valid F-1 or J-1 visa stamp (may not be required for visits fewer than 30 days to Mexico, Canada or the contiguous islands. Please consult an OIS advisor if you are traveling to those locations with an expired visa.)
  •  *Most recent I-20 or DS-2019 signed for travel within 6 months of your return date.
    • Check for the signature date on the 2nd page of your I-20 or the box in the lower right-hand corner of the DS-2019.
    • I -20s must be in the new format (See Example)
  •  It is also recommended that you carry your funding documentation (bank statement, TA/RA contract, sponsor letter, etc.) and proof of enrollment at NC State.
  • Students on OPT need to carry the EAD card and job offer letter in addition to the documents listed above.

*If you need a new travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019, please bring your document to the OIS front desk along with the travel endorsement form. You can drop the request off at your convenience, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday – Friday. It will take up to 5 business days to process your travel signature. We generally cannot do same day signatures, so please plan ahead.

** International Students are expected to be physically present in the US by the first day of classes for each semester. If travel or visa application delays will result in a late return to NC State (after the first day of classes), please review our webpage for additional information on documentation you need to carry and/or provide to OIS.

As always, talk to your OIS advisor if you have specific questions or concerns regarding travel. Have a safe and fun trip!