December 2016 Staff Spotlight

Hayley Hardenbrook, International Student & Scholar Advisor

Tell us a little about yourself.hayley
I was born and raised right here in Raleigh, NC! I went to UNC-Chapel Hill for undergrad (don’t hold it against me), and now am back at NC State currently working on a Master of International Studies degree. Specifically I am interested in European politics, matters of immigration, and economic development.

What do you do at OIS? What are your primary responsibilities?
I work as an International Student & Scholar Advisor at OIS, so I advise on immigration regulations and maintaining status for F and J visa holders, and process requests related to immigration. I also serve as a Data Analyst for the office, working closely with the SEVIS Manager to ensure data integrity, run reports, and evaluate trends.

What do you like to do in your free time?
I’m a big reader! I could spend hours curled up with a book and be perfectly content. For active pastimes I enjoy volleyball, ballet, and yoga. And cuddling my dog. 🙂

Where are a few places you have traveled?
Most of my traveling has been in Europe. I love the Mediterranean region, Greece specifically, but my heart is in Germany. My parents lived in Germany, so I grew up visiting there, studied abroad in Tübingen as an undergraduate, and speak the language. I also worked one summer on the Greek island of Naxos and one summer in Costa Rica on a sea turtle reserve.  Additionally, I have traveled to many other European countries, including Italy, France, Austria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Belgium, Denmark, and Sweden.

Irina Glabuchek, Immigration Specialist

it_09_monte_carlo_016Tell us a little about yourself.
I was born and lived most of my life in Kyrgyzstan (aka Kyrgyz Republic) – a small landlocked country in the middle of Eurasia, 94% of which is covered by mountains. Ethnically I am Russian.

My first visit to the US was in 1997, when I spent one academic year in a tiny rural town in Tennessee as a high school exchange student. I have an equivalent of a Master’s degree in Linguistics from the International University of Kyrgyzstan.  In my home country I worked as a paralegal and translator in a local branch of a Brussels-based law firm, provided support to program activities in a number of non-profit international projects and in the country office of United Nations Development Program.

Relocation to the US was one of the most challenging periods in my life. I had no employment authorization during the first 4 years here  – so I had to get used to the new role of a home-stay mom. But my patience was rewarded – in 2015 I received a Green Card and got my first US job.

I am Immigration Specialist and one of the OIS’s Designated School Officials. My primary focus is on STEM OPT. I’m also involved in data management and document processing.

I spend most of my free time with my family. We love to cook, have small parties, travel, ride bikes, discuss global problems and philosophize on the meaning of life.

I have traveled throughout Italy, southern France, Monte Carlo, and spent a month in Istanbul, Turkey. Living in Kyrgyzstan, I had occasional visits to one of its neighboring countries – Kazakhstan.