Please remember the following to stay in status as on-campus employees while in F-1 or J-1 status:
- J-1 students must apply for authorization for on-campus work prior to starting employment. Find the application and more information on the On-Campus Employment webpage. For information regarding off campus work for J-1 students, please refer to our article on Academic Training.
- All F-1 and J-1 students are limited to working up to a maximum of 20 hours per week on-campus during the academic semester. This includes both paid and unpaid employment
- There is no flexibility to this 20 hour per week limit. If you work only one minute more than the 20 hour per week limit during the academic semester, you are in violation of your F-1 or J-1 status.
- The 20 hour per week employment limit applies to all work on campus, even across multiple jobs. If you have more than one job on campus, it is very important that you coordinate with all supervisors so that you do not exceed 20 hours of employment.
- International students who have on-campus employment are solely responsible for keeping track of their work hours and ensuring that they do not exceed 20 hours of work per week.
- It is possible for students to exceed the 20 hours per week limitation during vacation terms such as summer break but not during Thanksgiving break.
- All on-campus employment must stop if your I-20 or DS-2019 has expired or if your last semester of required enrollment has ended, whichever occurs first.
More information about employment is available on the OIS International Student Employment webpage.