October 2017 Staff Spotlight

Kelsey Stolzenbach, International Student and Scholar Advisor

Tell us a little about yourself.  I first became interested in the field of International Education working in the Study Abroad Office at Longwood University as an intern in 2013. After studying abroad in Thailand, France, Belgium, and the Dominican Republic, I knew I wanted to help others to make amazing discoveries and build their careers in new places. I graduated from Longwood University in 2015 with a B.S. in Economics and a minor in International Studies. To connect my aspiration to help international populations with my graduate studies,  I began working with international students and scholars as a Graduate Student Worker for Vanderbilt’s International Student and Scholar Services office in August 2015. During my time in that department, I developed a passion for working with international students and scholars, and I realized I wanted to be a DSO/ARO once I obtained my graduate degree. I received my M.Ed in International Education & Policy Management May 2017, and now I am living the dream working for OIS!

What do you do at OIS? What are your primary responsibilities? I am the DSO/ARO for Electrical and Computer Engineering graduate students and scholars. I also assist Mike with data management responsibilities for the office.

What do you like to do in your free time? I split my free time between lazy activities and more adventurous ones. When I’m feeling the need for some down time, I read my Kindle, watch Netflix, or play video games. When I’m up for an adventure, I jog around my neighborhood, go brewery hopping in the Raleigh area, try new restaurants, or attend concerts.

Where are a few places you have traveled? See above! I’d love to travel more in the future.

Courtenay Klauber, Graduate Assistant

Tell us a little about yourself. I‘m originally from the town of Issaquah, WA. For undergrad, I made the big move to Waco, TX and graduated from Baylor University in 2016 with a major in Linguistics and a minor in Religion. At Baylor I really enjoyed studying different cultures and the intersection of language and culture. I also was an RA for two years, which introduced me to the field of Student Affairs. This August, I moved even farther east to Raleigh to combine these two interests and prepare for a career in International Education through NC State’s Master’s in Higher Education Administration program and my assistantship here at OIS.

What do you do at OIS? What are your primary responsibilities? I mostly assist with various processing procedures like initial scholar requests and travel signature requests. I also assist in presenting OPT drop-off sessions and try to help out with various tasks wherever I can.

What do you like to do in your free time? My current favorite way to spend what little free time I have as a graduate student is to curl up with a cup of tea and listen to a podcast while working on my latest knitting or crochet project. I also really enjoy reading and cooking when time allows!

Where are a few places you have traveled? Growing up, my family made a point to try to visit as many states as possible, so I’m currently at 39 out of 50. Internationally, I’ve been to the Philippines twice to visit family there, and I’ve also been to Italy, Bulgaria, Greece, and Turkey.