On March 23, 2018, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) launched the SEVP Portal. The portal is a tool that F-1 students on OPT/STEM OPT can use to report changes to their home/mailing address, telephone number and employer information. The portal is accessible from both mobile devices and computers. Use of the portal is voluntary but highly encouraged by SEVP and OIS.
When and How Do OPT Students Gain Access to the Portal?
The SEVP Portal is only be accessible to students whose OPT has been approved and is active. If a student’s OPT is already approved and active (meaning the student has been issued an employment authorization document (EAD) card and the start date of the EAD has passed), the student should have received an email from SEVP with instructions on creating a portal account. This email came from firstname.lastname@example.org to the student’s email address associated with the student’s SEVIS record (which will be the email address they have checked as “preferred” in their MyPack account). If students are unsure which email address is associated with their SEVIS account, students should monitor all email accounts they have registered in MyPack. Students should check their spam or junk mail folder also to ensure they didn’t miss the email. If a student’s OPT is approved and active, but the student hasn’t received an email from SEVP, the student can contact OIS to request a resend of the email. If a student’s OPT status in SEVIS is still “requested” or pending”, the student will not receive an email until the OPT status has been changed to “approved” which happens when the EAD is issued.
How Do Students Use the Portal?
The SEVP Portal allows students to:
- View details about their post-completion OPT or STEM OPT;
- Report changes to their residential address, telephone number and employer information;
- View and update data on all of their employers in one place.
The SEVP Portal and Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) regularly share data. Data entered into the Portal is sent immediately to SEVIS to update the student’s record. Information comes from SEVIS to the Portal only once a day. Therefore, any updates of a student’s information in SEVIS appear in the Portal the next day. The SEVP Portal User Guide provides detailed instructions for using the portal.
- For Students on Post-Completion OPT: Students on OPT are able to add, edit, and delete employer information. OIS highly recommends that students on OPT start create a Portal account as soon as they receive an email from SEVP and begin reporting employment information using the SEVP Portal instead of the OIS OPT Validation form. Students should take care to avoid duplicate submissions: once a student has updated their OPT information in the SEVP Portal, the student should not submit the same information through the OPT Validation form (unless otherwise instructed by OIS).
- For Students on STEM OPT: Students on STEM OPT cannot add or delete any employers in the SEVP Portal. To add an employer, the student must submit a completed Form I-983 and a New Employer Form to OIS using the STEM OPT Upload Center. To delete an employer from the student’s SEVIS record, the student must contact OIS. Students on STEM OPT can edit some of their employer’s information in the SEVP Portal, but if the student needs to edit any of the read-only fields, the student must contact OIS. IMPORTANT: STEM OPT Students must continue using OIS’s online OPT Validation form to submit their 6-month validation reports. STEM OPT Students should review all STEM OPT reporting requirements listed on our STEM OPT web page.
What Should Students on OPT/STEM OPT Do Now?
Students should familiarize themselves with the information available about the Portal. Please review the following resources provided by SEVP:
- Information about the portal.
- The SEVP Portal User Guide which provides screenshots and detailed step-by-step instructions for using the portal.
- SEVP Portal videos.
- A useful one-page reference sheet on the Portal.
At this time, OIS does not possess any additional information about the Portal other than the information and links provided in this email. Students should not contact OIS to confirm that they created a portal account. If students have any questions about the portal or need assistance, they can call the SEVP Response Center at 703-603-3400.