OIS Operations and Document Requests
Although our physical office is closed, OIS remains open remotely. We are continuing most of our functions virtually via email, phone, and video conferencing and we are still able to process requests and provide advising and programming services. Any changes to our operational status will be posted on our homepage as well as on this FAQ page.
Below we have outlined how some of our major services have transitioned while we are operating remotely:
- Processing Requests: Please email all processing requests (except specific processes noted below) to email@example.com. We are continuing to issue updated I-20 and DS-2019s and will scan a copy to you once we have issued the updated document.
- Distribution of OPT related mail received in OIS: If you believe your OPT mail was delivered to OIS, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm and arrange shipment of your mail.
- Distribution of Documents:
- F-1 Students: Per SEVP Guidance, I-20s issued and signed electronically during the COVID-19 pandemic are considered valid, original documents. Therefore, going forward, OIS will only be creating I-20s electronically and will email F-1 students the electronically issued and signed I-20.
- J-1 students and scholars: Per EVP Guidance, the physical DS-2019 is still the original, valid document so OIS is still issuing physical copies of DS-2019s and will arrange to mail the document to the J-1 student or scholar at the time we notify you a new document has been issued. If OIS created a DS-2019 for you that you have not yet received, please email@example.com to arrange to have the document mailed to you.
- OPT Processing: Our OPT procedures have transitioned online and are outlined on our OPT page.
- CPT Processing: Our CPT procedures have transitioned online and are outlined on our CPT page.
- Travel Signatures: Please review travel signature request procedures in the Travel Section of this FAQ.
- Open Advising Hours: Virtual advising hours have replaced in-person advising hours and instructions for using virtual advising hours are here. Keep in mind open advising hours are for 5-7 minute advising questions. If you have a situation that will likely take more time to discuss, please email your assigned OIS advisor with your question and your advisor will provide an answer via email or schedule a phone or video appointment to discuss your question.
- OIS Programs & Events: OIS events and programs will be held virtually until further notice. Several programs, including English Conversation Club and the IMOM Spouse Club, will take place through Zoom and will start during the first week of classes. Additional details about our Fall 2020 events and programs will be announced soon. We are committed to finding new virtual ways for our campus community to connect and engage with each other. Follow OIS on Instagram and Facebook for more details!