Position Types and Eligible Immigration Status

Position Types and Eligible Immigration Status for Scholars

It is extremely important to consider the details and purpose of a foreign national’s proposed activities on campus before determining which visa category is most appropriate. Key factors to consider include: 

  • Whether the activities are temporary or permanent in nature;  
  • Whether the activities be funded by NC State;
  • Are the activities primarily research, teaching and/or observation or more administrative in nature;
  • Who will benefit from the activities – NC State, the foreign national, both;
  • Whether the foreign national is currently in the U.S. or abroad
  • The foreign national’s prior immigration history in the U.S.
  • The foreign national’s country of citizenship and/or lawful permanent residency

Some HR positions may have more than one visa option depending on the applicant’s eligibility, country of citizenship, and whether they are already in the U.S. in a particular non-immigrant status. The J-1 Exchange Visitor  program is the standard for applicants coming directly from outside of the U.S.

It is left primarily to the hiring department to decide the appropriate HR title assigned to a J-1 Exchange Visitor. Below are the main groups of position types at NC State University and the suitability of J-1 status for this position:

Helpful Links: