- Provided that you were enrolled in Spring, and will enroll in Fall, you are eligible to work more than 20 hours per week on campus during the summer. Please note that for the purposes of on-campus employment, the summer begins 5/14/2017 and ends 8/15/2017. You must not exceed 20 hours/week before May 14, 2017 or after August 15, 2017. (Keep in mind that August 15th is a Tuesday, you must not exceed 20 hours/week for the week of August 15th).
- If you are beginning your program in the summer, or completing your program in a summer semester, you are limited to 20 hours/week because you are not in a “vacation” term.
- Unfortunately OIS has been required to terminate the visa status of students who worked more than their status permitted. Be sure to monitor your work hours to ensure that you do not exceed the 20 hour per week work limit, unless you are in a vacation term. No one can authorize you to work more than 20 hours per week on campus during a semester. This is a statutory limit. Your manager or supervisor cannot approve you to exceed this limitation.This is especially important to pay attention to in the week leading up to May 14th and the week of August 15th.
- J-1 students must apply for authorization for on-campus work prior to starting employment, no matter if the work is during the academic year or over the summer semester. Find the application and more information on the On-Campus Employment webpage. For information regarding off campus work for J-1 students, please refer to our article on Academic Training.
- All on-campus employment must stop if your I-20 or DS-2019 has expired or if your last semester of required enrollment has ended, which ever occurs first.
- When in doubt, consult OIS prior to exceeding 20 hours.
More information about on-campus employment is always available on the OIS website.