Housing Information for J-1 Exchange Visitors


On campus housing

E.S. King Village is a great on-campus housing facility for students and scholars with families:http://housing.ncsu.edu/es-king-village-guest-apartments

Guest Apartments: http://housing.ncsu.edu/guest-housing

Off campus housing

Temporary Living Company: Temporary Living Company offers to faculty, staff and students of N.C State University fully furnished accommodations in Raleigh and surrounding areas of North Carolina. The rentals offered have flexible lease terms at competitive rates.http://www.temporarylivingcompany.com/

ULoop: Housing options close to NC State University: http://ncsu.uloop.com/housing/index.php/available?mct=45988114917b7d7&utm_source=nslb&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Rooms+&+Housing+All&utm_content=eat+elephant&utm_campaign=Housing

Sabbatical Homes is a website where homes are listed which are available for temporary lease, usually listed by University or College employees (not limited to NC State University): http://www.sabbaticalhomes.com/

Sabbatix.com Sabbatical homes for rent, exchange, and house sitting for the academic community. It is FREE to list a home and to contact home owners: http://www.sabbatix.com.

Websites to assist you in finding an apartment close to campus:



Make sure to read the lease carefully before you sign it. If there is language that you do not understand, consult a friend or attorney to explain everything before you sign the document. Always keep a copy of the lease. Please also take a look at this website for more information about leases and what to look out for: http://studentlegal.dasa.ncsu.edu/landlord-and-tenant-information.

Make sure all arrangements you make are in writing – do not accept only verbal agreements.

When you move into an apartment make a list of damages that were there when you arrived (or make photographs). Give a copy of this list (with photographs) to your landlord and keep a copy for yourself. This should prevent you from being charged for damages to the apartment that were already there when you arrived.

When moving out of the apartment, you have to give your landlord written notice of your plans to move. Usually you must do this 30 or 60 days in advance (sometime more, check your lease). It is very important to read the lease and follow the instructions on the lease so that you are not overcharged before you leave.