Global Graduates: Fall 2022

OIS is proud of all of our #GlobalGrads! While we highlighted as many graduating students on our social media accounts as possible in December, we’d like to feature a few more Fall 2022 graduates in this post and celebrate their achievements as well. International students and scholars at NC State are important members of the #GlobalWolfpack who demonstrate so clearly our motto: “Think and Do The Extraordinary.”

Sandeep Reddy Pisati

Master’s Degree in Computer Networking 🎓

What surprised you about being a part of the Wolfpack? What are you most proud of?

The education system, campus and the facilities has surprised me. The work that I put in to get a job is the thing that I’m most proud of.

Do you have any favorite memories?

The long hours as a team that we put in to complete our projects is the memory that I will always carry. It helped us to make good friends and build bonds.

Is there any advice you would offer to prospective international students?

You have to work hard but it will be worth it at the end. Try to explore all the things on the campus. there is a lot to do.

What excites you about the future? What will you take away from your time in Raleigh and at NC State?

Work excites me now and I’ll always miss the calming presence of NC State and Raleigh. It will always feel home when we come back again.

Dashmeet Kaur

Master’s Degree in Computer Science 🎓

The sense of belonging I will feel, the attachment I will feel towards NC State was something I was never expecting. Being away from home for the very first time, and that too across the globe, was not an easy experience at first. But being a part of the Wolfpack helped me feel less homesick and I looked forward to every new event, new game, new gathering in the university. I am most proud of getting a paper published alongside regular coursework in the first year of my Master’s. It was tough managing three courses, cooking, adjusting into a new world, and research work all at once. But when I stood in front of the mic at a web security conference, I felt proud of what I have achieved.

Do you have any favorite memories?

The events organized by Maitri always gave me a tiny piece of my life back home. During the most difficult phases like the first month here, or the festive season of Diwali, Maitri held events to ease our homesickness. I will cherish these memories for years to come. I made a lot of good friends through the Bridges International Friends group. I have explored Raleigh and the surrounding areas thanks to them. I have been exposed to different cultures, religions, and perspectives through the friends I made there. Academically, I was always authentic and true to my passion. I only took courses that peeked interest in me and I learned as much as I could from each one. I undertook a research project in my very first semester and got a paper published in my second. I wanted to experience “the” graduate student life by working in Dining at least once. So in the third semester, I took up that job while juggling four courses! It was a super fun experience. I find myself to be extremely fortunate to be able to graduate early and I have a job I look forward to contributing in!

Be authentic to yourself. Remember why you made the choice of moving away from home, of taking up hefty student loans, and of leaving a comfortable life behind. Use that reason to drive you in tough times. Use that reason when you want to decide between which courses to select or whether missing out on university events is worth it. Let your inner force drive your journey as a graduate student.

I will be joining Microsoft in late February as a Software Engineer. I will be joining a System Security team there, which is my field of interest. My time here has taught me how to manage time and stress, how to read and write long research papers, how to document my work, and how to be authentic and honest towards my work. I have grown professionally and personally. My job in CE as a dining associate has taught me the value of education in one’s life. I have discovered a fondness for research which has ignited a passion of pursuing PhD in the future. I hope to be back in academia within the next 5 years.

Omkar Samant

Master’s Degree in Integrated Manufacturing Systems Engineering 🎓

I am most proud of all the friends that I made which turned into family and made Raleigh a home away from home.

Do you have any favorite memories?

I played as a cricket player of NCSU Wolfpack cricket club from January [20]22 and also went on to lead the side for a semester which helped me discover a leader in myself and allowed me to make connections out of university.

Embrace new challenges by taking up tasks out of your spectrum which will help discover a new you.

I am quite excited to pursue a professional career in industrial engineering sector after gaining [a] plethora of knowledge from NC State and also aiming to set up a base as a cricketer in United States by pursuing cricket professionally in the days to come.

Mira Chingale

Master’s Degree in Biomanufacturing 🎓

The opportunities and diversity at NC state is amazing! Graduating from NC state is quite special as my husband is an NC State alum and now I am a part of the Wolfpack too. ❤️

Do you have any favorite memories?

My [favorite] memory is spending long hours in the lab working with tissues and cells! Also the long nights to complete the assignments and papers! Miss being a student!

Make use of all the opportunities, facilities and training possible! NC State has a lot to offer!

I am looking forward to start working as MS&T engineer at KBI Biopharma, Durham!

Shalmali Sunil Wandhekar

Master’s Degree in Computer Science 🎓

Being the first one in my family to pursue higher education in USA, I am proud of my journey at NC State and thankful for the knowledge and skills gained.

Do you have any favorite memories?

I will always cherish the memories of travelling with my friends, the peaceful vibes of Raleigh and fun events at NSCU.

What are your “next steps,” either personally or professionally?

My next steps are to work as a Software Engineer and to make a great societal impact.