The Fall Alternative Service Break Trips will happen from October 5 to October 8, 2017 to Atlanta and Washington D.C. to promote, facilitate, and recognize service-learning involvement among the international student community at NC State University. Each year, the Center for Student Leadership, Ethics, and Public Service (CSLEPS) at NC State organizes an Alternative Service Break (ASB) during the Fall break for both domestic and international students. OIS will award ten scholarships of $125 each to help defray the costs of participating in either the Washington D.C. or Atlanta Fall ASB program. OIS partners with CSLEPS and supports the ASB by offering partial scholarships to eligible international students and promoting ASB and other CSLEPS programs.
OIS-ASB Scholarship Eligibility Requirements:
- Students must be enrolled fulltime at NC State and be in good academic standing
- Students must be in valid non-immigrant student status (e.g., F-1, J-1)
- Students must have paid the OIS Orientation Fee (e.g., must be enrolled in a graduate or undergraduate degree program – or GTI 3+x program)
- Students must not have been awarded a previous ASB scholarship from OIS
- Students must submit a completed ASB application to CSLEPS
- Students must pledge to share their thoughts, summary experience, and photos afterwards with the international community via the OIS newsletter or website
- Preference will be given to first year international students and/or students who have previously indicated their interest in the ISSERV programs at OIS (e.g., subscribed to the listserv)
In order to apply, YOU MUST attend one of these Informational Meetings
*You must attend 1 information meeting (as scheduled below) and any ASB planning meetings in order to attend an ASB experience.
Wednesday, August 30th 3:00 PM 4280 Talley Student Union Tuesday, September 5th 12:45 PM 4280 Talley Student Union Tuesday, September 12th 2:00 PM 4280 Talley Student Union Monday, September 18th 4:30 PM 3222 Talley Student Union Wednesday, September 20th 3:00 PM Duke Energy Hall BC Monday, September 25th 2:00 PM 4280 Talley Student Union
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 14!
No separate application to OIS is necessary. The CSLEPS staff will share the ASB applications which international students submit by the deadline with a selection committee of OIS staff and volunteers who will then nominate ten students to receive a $125 credit toward their participation costs. An email from OIS will go out to the ten scholarship awardees. Recipients must respond to OIS via email within 48 hours of issuance to accept the scholarship and to pledge their intention to share their summary with OIS (see item #6 above). If no response is received within 48 hours, alternative recipients will be selected – provided sufficient time and funds are available.
We know that the ASB experience – and countless other opportunities students have to engage in service learning and volunteer projects – not only make the world a better place, but build local communities and nurture individuals – both giver and receiver. OIS encourages all members of the academic community to give back, give more, and give frequently.