Schedule OIS Check-In
Check-in with OIS is required by law for all new F-1 and J-1 international students, including transfer students. The check-in process has five parts and all must be completed in order to successfully complete the check-in requirement.
- Provide Pre-Arrival Information
- Review and Accept the OIS Compliance Agreement
- Provide Emergency Contact Information
4. Provide Immigration Documentation and U.S. Address Information
5. Attend an OIS check-in session
Who Must Attend Check-in
- International students (F-1 and J-1 visa) must attend a check-in session upon arrival to NC State. This includes students matriculating from the Intensive English Program and transfer students.
- Students on other visas (H-1, H-4, F-2, etc.) should NOT attend the OIS Check-in session, as it is not a requirement of those visas.
- Dependents on J-2 visas are required to check in with OIS. Please complete the Dependent Check-in Form to schedule a J-2 check-in appointment.
Required Steps to Complete the Check-in Requirement
IMPORTANT – OIS will not be able to register your SEVIS record until all 5 steps have been completed.
Steps 1-3 will be completed in your GlobalHome account. Login with your unity credentials (same credentials you use for MyPack Portal) and click on “OIS Check-in” under the “Requests” section on your GlobalHome homepage. You will receive an email each time you successfully complete a step. If you need to navigate away from “OIS Check-in” in between steps, you can return to this section in GlobalHome and resume the process with the next step.
Step 1: Provide Pre-Arrival Information
You will be asked to provide information regarding your current location, whether or not you have received your F-1 or J-1 student visa, and confirm any flight plans.
Once Step 1 has been completed, GlobalHome will automatically take you to Step 2.
Step 2: Review and Accept the OIS Compliance Agreement
You must carefully read the OIS Compliance Agreement and indicate your agreement with the various statements.
Once Step 2 has been completed, GlobalHome will take you to Step 3.
Step 3: Provide Emergency Contact Information
You now need to provide contact information for at least one person outside the United States and one person living in the United States.
Part 1 – Provide Immigration Documentation:
International students will now need to upload certain immigration documents into their GlobalHome account. Return to the “OIS Check-in” section under “Requests” and you will be able to continue with Step 4. This step can only be done once a student has entered the United States as one of the required documents is only created once a student has physically entered the United States. The required documents are:
- I-20 (F-1 students) or DS 2019 (J-1 students)
- Passport bio page and US visa stamp
- Your I-94 from your most recent entry into the United States (Click “GET MOST RECENT I-94”, then click “CONSENT & CONTINUE”, then enter your information to print your I-94; if your I-94 is returned “Not Found,” wait 72 hours and try again. If it still returns as “Not Found”, please try the tips we have listed on our I-94 Retrieval Tips page. This will not prevent you from registering for and attending a live virtual check-in session)
- If your I-94 is still returned as “Not Found” after you try our tips, or your I-94 has incorrect information on it (for example, if only part of your name is listed or your birth date is incorrect), please use our I-94 Retrieval Errors Form in Global Home to request assistance from OIS. We will respond to your inquiry within 5 business days.
Part 2 – Update U.S. Address Information:
This step must be completed in MyPack Portal, not GlobalHome. You can complete this task by navigating to the MyPack Portal > Student Homepage > Personal Information tile. You will then click on Addresses (left side menu), scroll down, and click ‘Add SEVIS Local Address’. The address should follow these formatting guidelines:
- ADDRESS LINE 1: Your house or building’s street number and street name. Do NOT include your name or apartment complex name in line 1. Example: 1234 Wolfpack Dr.
- ADDRESS 2: Additional information, such as your apartment number and/or apartment name. Do NOT include city, state, or zip code information in line 2. Example 1: Apt 302 Example 2: Valentine Commons, Building C Apartment 101
- ADDRESS 3: Leave blank
- CITY: Enter your city. Example: Raleigh
- STATE: Enter your state. Example: NC
- POSTAL: Enter the 5 digit postal code, also called a “zip code”. Example: 27123
- COUNTY: You may leave this blank.
OIS will provide two options to virtually attend a check-in session for Spring 2021. New F-1 and J-1 students only need to select ONE of the options listed below as both options feature the same content. Check-in sessions will last approximately 1.5 hours.
The first will be a live virtual check-in session through Zoom. During this session an OIS advisor will give a live presentation regarding your immigration status. You will have the opportunity to ask questions and interact with the OIS advisor throughout the presentation. Registration is required in order to attend and can be done in your GlobalHome account. Login with your unity credentials and click on “Events” in the upper right corner of your homepage to access the live session options. Click “I’m attending” for the session you wish to attend.
Live sessions will be held on:
- January 8, 2021 – 1:30pm EST
- January 12, 2021 – 10:00am EST
- January 15, 2021 – 1:30pm EST
Please Note: Once you attend the check-in, OIS will update Global Home to indicate that you have attended the session within 3 business days. When we update the site, you can click on “OIS Check-in” under the “Requests” section on your GlobalHome homepage to see this confirmation. The confirmation will not appear on the homepage directly. Please do not contact OIS unless it has been at least 3 business days since you attended a check-in.
For students with schedule conflicts for the above dates or who wish to attend a check-in session before January 8th, OIS has created a new option to view a recording of a Zoom check-in session on demand. You can access this check-in using the Online Check-in Session accessible in GlobalHome once you’ve completed Steps 1-4. If you select this option, you must watch the entire presentation and receive a passing score on a REQUIRED QUIZ to complete the check-in requirement. Your OIS check-in requirement will not be complete until you pass the required quiz with a score of 22/22 (100%).