Check-in with OIS is required by law for all new F-1 and J-1 international students, including transfer students. At the Check-In session, OIS will collect and scan your immigration documents and present information to assist you in your first weeks in Raleigh. Your documents will be returned to you at the end of the session.
Who Must Attend Check-in
- International students (F-1 and J-1 visa) must attend a check-in session upon arrival to NC State.
- Students on other visas (H-1, H-4, F-2, etc.) should NOT attend the OIS Check-in session, as it is not a requirement of those visas.
- Dependents on J-2 visas are required to check in with OIS. Please complete the Dependent Check-in Form to schedule a J-2 check-in appointment.
Required Steps Before Check-in
Before attending OIS Check-in, all students need to update information in MyPack Portal, following these instructions. OIS will not be able to register your SEVIS record until these steps have been completed:
- Update the ‘SEVIS Local’ (Raleigh) Address, U.S. Phone Number, and Emergency Contact Information
- OIS Compliance Verification form. *Please note that the OIS Compliance Verification Form cannot be completed before you arrive to Raleigh and enter your local address*
Continuing to update the SEVIS Local address in MyPack within 10 days of moving is a requirement of maintaining F-1/J-1 status.
Required Documents to Bring to Check-in
- I-20 (F-1 students) or DS 2019 (J-1 students)
- Passport with visa stamp
- Printout of the I-94 from your most recent entry into the United States (Click “GET MOST RECENT I-94”, then click “CONSENT & CONTINUE”, then enter your information to print your I-94; if your I-94 is returned “Not Found,” please print the page showing not found and bring that)
Fall 2019 Check-in Schedule
For F-1 and J-1 students beginning their studies for the Fall 2019 semester, we will have numerous check-in sessions offered. Registration for a check-in appointment is required. Review the instructions above to ensure that you successfully complete the check-in process. All check-ins will take place in Daniels Hall room 434.