Whether you have gone through an OIS Orientation in the past or just have an interest in helping new international students at NC State, OIS is always looking for energetic, flexible and friendly volunteers to help with our next student orientation! Each year, the OIS coordinates New International Student Orientation for approximately 1,000 new international students. We are in need of orientation volunteers to assist our office in four capacities: Small Pack Leaders, Culture to Culture Ambassadors, Check-in Volunteers, and Orientation Team.
Fall 2015 International Student Orientation, Small Pack Leaders
Culture to Culture Ambassadors
Are you an undergraduate student who wants to help welcome new international undergraduates to NC State? Please visit the CCAP webpage for more information and to apply for the program.
Small Pack Leaders
Are you looking for opportunities to further enhance your leadership skills or develop your ability to communicate cross-culturally? Do you want to help welcome new internationals to NC State? The Office of International Services is looking for campus and community volunteers to serve as Small Pack Leaders for our incoming group of international graduate students.
Small Pack Leaders (SPLs) play a key role in preparing new international graduate students for their move to Raleigh and in orienting them to NC State once they’ve arrived. SPLs work as a pair to communicate with a designated group of new international students and answer their basic questions before their arrival. Once the new students have arrived, SPLs then lead their group through orientation in August. Serving as an SPL is a unique experience to add to your resume and a great way to meet new people and have fun!!
Please send an email to email@example.com if you’re interested in helping out with orientation in other ways!
How does it work?
Each Small Pack Leader will be assigned a co-leader. Together you will be matched with a “Small Pack” of new incoming international graduate students (approximately 25 students). You will communicate with your new students beginning in May and continue that communication throughout the summer in order to help them prepare for arrival and orientation at NC State. Communication is done via email and Moodle. Small Pack Leaders will meet new students in person when they arrive for orientation in August.
What are the benefits of participation for you as a Small Pack Leader?
- Develop communication, teamwork, and leadership skills in a fun and informal cross-cultural setting
- Receive specialized cross-cultural and leadership training
- Meet people from around the world (new students and fellow volunteers)
- Enhance your resume with international experience without leaving campus
How will you be helping new international students?
- By introducing them to campus life, making them aware of available resources and helping them adjust to U.S. culture and the university environment
- By answering their questions as someone who “knows the ropes” and has an invaluable perspective to share with them
- By helping them feel more comfortable coming to Raleigh because they will already know someone before they arrive
Small Pack Leader Responsibilities & Expectations
- Attend a Small Pack Leader training on April 12th from 5-7 p.m. or April 18th from 3-5 p.m. (Classroom locations will be sent in an email once confirmed.)
- Begin corresponding with your pack members via email and Moodle as soon as you receive their names in May. NOTE: You must have regular internet access over the summer to apply as an SPL
- Maintain regular contact with your co-leader and work cooperatively together
- Respond promptly to pack members’ email inquiries, as well as OIS staff emails
- Participate in Orientation Day (August 9, 2017) with your Small Pack, leading Small Pack meetings that day and Welcome Party (August 18, 2017) with your Small Pack.
- Follow-up regularly with small pack members
- Respect all cultures, religions, values, beliefs represented among your small group members (please refrain from discussing religion or politics).
- DO NOT promote/sell/advertise/publicize any product or other organization to group members at any time while serving as a small group leader unless permission is granted from the OIS.
From selection through orientation approximately 15 hours total (depending on the level of group communication during the summer).
- April: Pack Leader Training – April 12th from 5-7 p.m. or April 18th from 3-5 p.m.
- May – August: Communication with your Small Pack Members leading up to their arrival to Raleigh (required)
- August 8: Final Small Pack Leader meeting at 5:30 p.m. in 434 Daniels Hall (required)
- August 9: Orientation Day from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in Talley (required)
- Welcome Party: August 18th from 6-9 p.m. – Details will be announced at Orientation.
(There may be some additional optional training and social activities added to the schedule at a later time.)
How do I apply?
Submit your application here. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in helping out with orientation in other ways!
Contact Lauren Ball at email@example.com
Additional Orientation Volunteer Opportunities
During the two weeks before classes begin, volunteers are needed to assist with check-in for new international students. Check-in volunteer responsibilities include collecting students’ documents to be scanned by OIS staff and answering new student questions before the Check-in Presentation by an OIS advisor. Volunteers sign-up for either a morning or afternoon shift.
For questions, please contact Alexis McCloskey (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Coming soon! OIS Check-In Volunteer Training Information
This is a distinct group of volunteers who are interviewed and selected by OIS to serve in both an advisory and hands-on capacity to plan New International Student Orientation in the spring and the fall. Read the job description – Volunteer Job Description. Anyone interested should contact Lauren Ball at email@example.com. Benefits include gaining professional skills in event planning and working closely with a diverse group of students who quickly become friends!
Resources for Pack Leaders
FALL 2017 MATERIALS COMING SOON!
< Click to view
Download the Fall 2016 Small Pack Leader Resource Manual
Small Pack Leader Training video and presentation. The material handed out on training is available here.