Small Pack Leaders
Welcoming The World To NC State
About Small Pack Leaders
Are you looking for opportunities to further enhance your leadership skills or develop your ability to communicate cross-culturally? Do you want to help welcome new internationals to NC State? The Office of International Services is looking for campus and community volunteers to serve as Small Pack Leaders for our incoming group of international students.
Small Pack Leaders (SPLs) play a key role in preparing new international students for their move to Raleigh and in orienting them to NC State once they’ve arrived. SPLs work together to communicate with new international students and answer their basic questions before their arrival. Once the new students have arrived, SPLs then lead their group through orientation in August. Serving as an SPL is a unique experience to add to your resume and a great way to meet new people and have fun!
How Does It Work?
Small Pack Leaders will work as a team to address questions from new students through virtual OIS Welcome Desk sessions throughout the summer. SPLs will also assist with virtual orientation on August 11-12th by hosting optional information sessions and virtual social opportunities to supplement orientation content.
- Develop communication, teamwork, and leadership skills in a fun and informal cross-cultural setting
- Receive specialized cross-cultural and leadership training
- Meet people from around the world (new students and fellow volunteers)
- Enhance your resume with international experience without leaving campus
How Will I Be Helping New Students?
- By introducing them to campus life, making them aware of available resources and helping them adjust to U.S. culture and the university environment
- By answering their questions as someone who “knows the ropes” and has an invaluable perspective to share with them
- By helping them feel more comfortable coming to Raleigh because they will already know someone before they arrive
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Attend a Small Pack Leader training
- Begin corresponding with new students through the virtual OIS Welcome Desk. NOTE: You must have regular internet access over the summer to apply as an SPL
- Maintain regular contact with fellow SPLs and work cooperatively together
- Respond promptly OIS staff emails
- Participate in Orientation Day (August 11-12, 2021) with your Small Pack and lead Small Pack meetings that day
- Follow-up regularly with Small Pack members
- Respect all cultures, religions, values, beliefs represented among your Small Pack members (please refrain from discussing religion or politics).
- DO NOT promote/sell/advertise/publicize any product or other organization to group members at any time while serving as a Small Pack Leader unless permission is granted from the OIS.
From selection through orientation approximately 10 hours total (depending on the level of group communication during the summer).
- June: Complete Small Pack Leader training (required)
- June- August: Communication with new students leading up to their arrival to Raleigh (required)
- August 10: Final Small Pack Leader meeting at 5:30 p.m. on Zoom (required)
- August 11-12: Virtual Orientation Day from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Zoom (required)
(There may be some additional optional training and social activities added to the schedule at a later time.)
How To Apply
Apply Now. Interested in helping with orientation in others ways? Visit our Orientation Volunteers webpage for additional opportunities.
Contact Lauren Ball at email@example.com