There are many places to shop in the Raleigh area. Friends are a great source for good ideas about the best places to shop for certain items. Don’t hesitate to ask a friend which grocery store they find most affordable or which clothing store has the best prices, etc.
Please find a list below of some places to find household items and clothing:
Yard Sales/Garage Sales – A sale of household items, no longer wanted, held at that person’s home. This is a good place to find children’s clothing, toys, kitchen items, furniture, exercise equipment, and miscellaneous household items. Check Friday’s News and Observer newspaper for a listing of yard sales, locations, and times. Most yard sales are held early Saturday mornings. Prices are negotiable.
NC State University Surplus Sale – 2nd and 4th Friday of the month from 8:00-11:00 am. Sells used furniture, computers, and other miscellaneous items no longer wanted by the university. Be there by 7:10 am to participate in the lottery drawing. You must be able to take the items with you at the time of purchase. Payment methods accepted are cash or credit card (Visa and MasterCard). Location is 3240 Ligon Street, Raleigh, NC 27606. You can preview items on the Thursday before the sale from 7:30-11:30 am.
Miscellaneous items for household and personal care: Target, K-Mart, Family Dollar (on Avent Ferry near the Post Office) and Wal-Mart are all fairly inexpensive stores. K-Mart is the closest store to campus. Stores like Dollar Tree, The Dollar Store, and Everything a Dollar are great for buying small household items and personal items. In these stores, each item in the store costs $1.
Food/Grocery Shopping: Here are several ways to save money.
1. Buy Generic (i.e. the store brand of items).
2. Use manufacturer’s and store coupons found in the newspaper/magazines.
3. Each store has different items on sale each week. Usually stores run sales either from Wednesday-Tuesday or Sunday-Saturday.
4. Many stores offer discount cards (Food Lion- MVP card, Harris Teeter- VIC card). You must fill out an application at the customer service desk for this card.
5. Shop at N.C. Farmers Market on Lake Wheeler Road just off I-40 for fresh produce.
6. Buy the larger quantities of the foods you use most often. Many stores will list under a product how much it costs per ounce, pound, etc.