Student Employment

Many international students will be employed at some point during their studies at NC State University and students. International students who work without authorization – that is, they work more hours than permitted by law, or without written permission if it is necessary, or the employment is otherwise not permissible – will usually find themselves in very big trouble, since the University is required by law to terminate the SEVIS record of any student who engages in illegal employment.

Employment – whether it is part of a graduate assistantship, or a co-operative internship with a company, or part-time employment on campus just to make a little money, can be a very useful activity, can be fun and a great way to meet Americans, and can help meet daily casual expenses. OIS advisors are very supportive of international students engaging in lawful, appropriate, and authorized employment. Certain visa types that international students may have do not allow any employment whatsoever while other visa types have very generous employment benefits. Every visa type has different employment restrictions and processes. F-1 and J-1 students are able to work on campus or off campus provided they meet all the eligibility requirements, get written authorization when necessary, and it does not interfere with one’s studies or delay one’s program completion. Employment can only be a secondary or incidental objective for students on a student visa. Those who wish to work instead of –or more than – study should consider changing to an employment visa, where the primary objective is work instead of study.