Skip to main content

Taxes & Other Legal Matters

International students and scholars are required to file an annual federal tax return each year and may be required to file state and other tax forms as well. It is important to fulfill tax filing obligations and pay all required taxes – it is a condition of one’s non-immigrant status and failure to file tax returns could prevent future entry into the US, fines and penalties (including detention and deportation), garnishment of wages, and/or denial of a future visa applications.

When you first begin employment with NC State University, you must contact the International Compensation and Taxation Office at NC State to complete the paperwork necessary to set up your tax withholdings correctly. You can email International Compensation and Taxation at and notify them you are an international student needing to complete your tax assessment. You will receive a response email with instructions on next steps. It is not necessary to have obtained a social security card at that time you complete your assessment.

Do you need Tax Assistance?

In order to assist international students and scholars with their annual tax filing, International Employment and Taxation have created a webpage to help explain the process.

Please e-mail if you have any further questions.

Legal Matters

Student Legal Services is a non-profit corporation sponsored by the Student Government Association at NC State which is funded by student fees. The service is aimed at helping students resolve their legal problems with as little disruption as possible to their primary educational endeavors. The office focuses on preventative law, enabling the student to make educated choices. 

The Student Legal Services office is located at 1107 Pullen Hall and they are open from Monday to Friday from  8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (appointment only). To schedule an appointment call 919-515-7091.

For a comprehensive list of local attorneys specialized in immigration matters, please visit the AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) website.