NC State University offers a campus-only bus line called the Wolfline, which will bring you to different locations on campus. You can use this service for free with your campus ID card. Please visit this link to find the Wolfline schedule.
The City of Raleigh also offers bus services: The GoRaleigh bus service brings you to different locations within Raleigh and the GoTriangle bus service brings you to different locations within Raleigh and neighboring cities (e.g. Cary, Durham and Chapel Hill).
For the GoRaleigh and GoTriangle bus services, you would have to pay a small fee for each ride, however, because you are part of NC State University, you are eligible to obtain a GoPass. This pass will let you ride for free on all GoRaleigh and GoTriangle bus routes. You can obtain your GoPass by registering through the NCSU Transportation website. (Spouses are not eligible to obtain the GoPass from the NC State transportation office, but can purchase a discount pass from GoTriangle).
To obtain a license, learner’s permit, or an ID card in North Carolina, you will need to provide proof of your identity and your date of birth. You will also need to provide proof of your residence address and proof of either a Social Security Number (SSN) or documentation issued by the United States Government indicating legal presence (e.g. your I-20 or DS-2019, visa and I-94 card).
Please note: If you are a new international student, you cannot apply for a driver’s license until 10 days after you have completed the OIS Check-in process (and have provided our office with a valid local address on MyPack) [bg_faq_start]
Obtaining a North Carolina Driver’s License
- Call the Department of Motor vehicles (DMV) to make an appointment for testing before you visit your nearest driver’s license office. This will minimize the time needed to complete your application. Be sure to cancel the appointment if it cannot be kept.
- Study the “Driver’s Handbook” thoroughly before taking the written examination. You can view/print the driver handbook at www.ncdot.org/dmv or obtain a copy at OIS.
- Your driver’s license fee can only be paid in cash or by personal check. Credit cards and debit cards are not accepted for payment at the driver’s license office.
- Obtain form DL-123 “Driver License Liability Insurance Certification” or other acceptable proof of liability insurance coverage prior to visiting the driver’s license office. You must present this proof to the license examiner to obtain a license. Your insurance company must be licensed to do business in North Carolina.
- You will be required to provide a vehicle if taking the driving skills test. Your vehicle inspection sticker and license tag must be valid. Insure that your brake lights, turn signals, and horn are operational.[bg_faq_end] [bg_faq_start]
DMV Office Locations Near NC State University
If you plan to rent or purchase a car while you’re here, it is recommended by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)that you apply for a North Carolina Driver’s license if you will be here for more than 60 days. You can also find more information on the “Driving & Cars” page of this site. Also remember that if you plan to drive to campus you will need to abide by the University’s Transportation Office policies regarding parking. There are many options for persons who drive to campus such as purchasing a parking permit, using the park and ride lots or visitor parking areas (for temporary parking arrangements).
There is a train station in Raleigh called the Amtrak Station. The train system in North Carolina is unfortunately not very extensive, so it is usually not the most convenient way to travel.
If you would like to ride a bicycle, please visit the WolfTrails website for information on how to register your bike on campus, campus safety and helpful tips.
Please be mindful when riding your bike: most American drivers are not used to sharing the road with bicyclists, so use caution.