Reflection on Black History Month 2024

By Czar Gentius-Harris, Graduate Assistant for the Office of International Services

As Black History Month comes to a close, a theme that I reflected on this month was the concept of visibility. More often than not, Black faculty, staff, and students at a university are only nominally recognized for their contributions to society. Why do we have only a month to thank and recognize the many people who make big and small differences in our lives? Recognizing Black people in our community is essential because our voice and legacy would otherwise be forgotten. Whenever I interact with the very kind people who work in campus dining and housekeeping, I smile–knowing they are making a difference in my experience at North Carolina State University. Also, I am proud to see that I am not the only Black student or employee in my classes or workplace; seeing people who look like me pursuing their studies and advancing their career paths inspires me.

After I obtain my master’s degree in International Studies, I aim to work in the nonprofit sector, advocating for human rights for marginalized communities, especially within the French-speaking Caribbean. I strive to make my presence known, my voice heard. This month, I enjoyed listening to Director of Housekeeping Ada Baldwin deliver an empowering message at the 2024 Sisterhood Dinner sponsored by the Council on the Status of Women. Despite her trials and tribulations, she came out on top, becoming an inspiring role model for her children and for women, and helping us realize we have much value, skill, and passion to offer each other.

I was able to relate, coming from my personal background: I grew up under the guidance of my hard-working parents, and I got to see my younger siblings mature into bright young adults. My mother’s family comes from the Caribbean, where our family strives to make a difference in the home, at work, school, and in the local community. My dad’s family comes from the Southern United States, where they have faced decades of racial tension and adversity yet attained numerous educational and professional opportunities.

For us, there is no quitting; admittedly, I have had many thoughts about not pushing myself further. However, as one of my favorite African-American artists, Nina Simone, sings, I remind myself that I am “young, gifted, and Black!” My journey has been paved with many triumphs and obstacles, facing the harsh reality of being a black, queer woman. I have a robust support system, loving family and friends, and a path paved with opportunities to keep growing as a person. And I won’t stop, knowing I have so much to offer this world. Black History Month should not be one month, much less the shortest month of the year. Every day should be a day where the contributions and legacies of African Americans are celebrated and acknowledged.