If you are in F-1 or J-1 status and wish to transfer to another school within the U.S., OIS will help facilitate the transfer of your SEVIS record to your new school or program. To be eligible for a SEVIS transfer, you must have written confirmation of your acceptance to another school, maintain your F-1 or J-1 status, and be in good academic standing (as defined by the university) through the SEVIS transfer release date. (If you are found to be in violation of your visa status and/or not maintaining “good academic standing” prior to the release date, OIS is required to terminate your SEVIS record.)
The “release date” (MM/DD/YYYY) will usually be a day between the last day of the semester at NC State (or a day you wish to stop working if you are on OPT/AT) and the first day of classes at the new school. The “release date” is your choice, but is subject to the following conditions:
- The release date cannot be prior to the end of the current academic term for which the student is enrolled at NC State University unless the student’s new program start date will begin prior to the end of NCSU’s term. Students in this situation should coordinate with OIS and the new institution’s DSO to choose an appropriate release date.
- For F-1 students completing their program at NC State: The transfer release date must be within the 60 days grace period following completion. Also, the academic program at the new school must begin within five months of completion of your NC State program or end date of OPT.
- For J-1 students: The release date must occur before the program end date on the DS-2019 or before program completion, whichever occurs first.
Once the release date arrives, your record is transferred to the new school, and you may no longer work at NC State (or on OPT/AT). OIS can no longer take any action on your SEVIS record. Once your SEVIS record has been transferred, you should coordinate the receipt of your new I-20 or DS-2019 with the new school.
Please keep in mind that once OIS releases your SEVIS record to another school, we cannot undo the transfer. Therefore, please be sure you are fully decided about the school and release date before you submit any forms to OIS.
In order for OIS to transfer your SEVIS record to the new school, you will need to submit the following documents to OIS:
- International Student Transfer-Out form
- Admission letter from new school
If you have any feedback you would like to share about your experiences at NC State or OIS, we would be interested to know before you leave us! Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or speak with one of our OIS advisors.