Global Graduate: Federico Portillo Chaves

Federico Portillo Chaves, Doctoral Degree from College of Science

About Federico

Federico Exeario Portillo Chaves was born in 1984 from his parents, Andreina Chaves and Exeario de Jesus Portillo in Caracas, Venezuela, where he was raised. In 2011, he obtained his B.Sc. in Physics from the country’s best science university, Universidad Simón Bolívar, graduating with honorific mention in his dissertation.

In 2014 he begun his PhD. in Physics, motivated by his desire to grow professionally and his country’s catastrophic situation. In 2014 he met his advisor, Dr. Richard Longland, and in 2015 joined his group and TUNL. In 2016 he earned his M.Sc. in physics, was awarded with the Teaching Assistant of the Year 2016, and got married to his beloved wife Maina. Since then he has being building his family with his corgis Nova and Capi, earning his Ph.D in Spring 2022.

How was your experience at NC State?

One of the best experiences of my life. The campus is warm and so full of life. Every season gave me beautiful images that will be forever with me. I met so many wonderful people, friends, faculty, staff, housekeeping. They all have a special place in my thoughts and my heart. My favorite buildings: Riddick Hall and Hill library. My favorite place to be: Mary Yarbrough Court. I will need 1000 books to describe what NCSU make feel and what it means to me!

What are your plans post graduation?

Look for a postdoc or a job in the industry as data scientist that will let me stay in NC. My ultimate goal and my passion is to become a professor and teach physics and life.

What would you say is your biggest accomplishment from your time at NC State?

My best accomplishment during my time at NCSU was marrying my wife!

The best accomplishment academically speaking is definitively my Ph.D! Others are being lead TA and TA of the year in the physics department in my first year!

Do you have any advice for current or incoming students?

Incoming students: Make the BEST of every moment, enjoy and make use of as many services and facilities that you can have access to, and make friendships with as many persons as you can: form a king to a beggar.

Current: Being a student at NCSU is already an achievement, but that is just the beginning of your life. Own whatever you do (good or bad) and always strive to be the best in what you do! NCSU is the best place to exploit your potential and to develop and grow all the skills at all levels for the rest of your life.