The Raleigh-Durham (RDU) International Airport is located about 15 miles away from NC State University and the surrounding area. There are several transportation options available from the RDU Airport to NC State University, including public transportation, airport shuttle services, and taxis.
The RDU Airport has a fully staffed information desk located in the baggage claim area of both terminals. Their staff will be happy to assist you with your transportation needs.
Public Transportation from RDU to NC State University
The GoTriangle Raleigh-Airport-RTC #100 bus route can be used for transportation from the RDU Airport directly to NC State’s main campus (Hillsborough St. & Brooks Ave.), where you can then take the free Wolfline buses for transportation to nearby on-campus housing and apartment complexes. A single, one-way trip from RDU to NC State University will cost $2.25. Please Note: Bus fares must be paid in cash/hard currency. More information about bus routes and bus fares can be found on the GoTriangle Trip Planner website. To locate GoTriangle and Wolfline buses in real-time, visit the GoTriangle Transloc website or download the Transloc app.
Airport Shuttle Services
The Office of International Services has negotiated the following discounts to increase the affordable transportation options between RDU International Airport and NC State residence halls and apartments in the immediate vicinity of campus. The companies listed below were contacted because they run regular service to and from RDU as included on the RDU International Airport transportation services webpage under Shared Transportation Services.
These companies are not associated with NC State and this list is provided solely as a courtesy to new international students. Any use of the services included below constitutes an arrangement directly between a NC State student and their selected transportation company.
Reservations must be made prior to your arrival in Raleigh to guarantee service. Alternate transportation options can be found on the RDU International Airport ground transportation webpage.
- 10% discount for NC State students (no excess luggage fee)
- Reservation recommended on website in advance to confirm service
- Trips from RDU to the NC State campus area will cost $26-$27 per ride. Please note that you may be subject to additional fees if arriving during a peak arrival time (4-6 PM), late at night (after 1 AM) or with additional passengers (if booking a ride with family members or other new students).
- Visit A&P Shuttle’s website.
- Complete the reservation request at the bottom of the home page and include the code NCState10 in the “Special Instructions for Driver” section to receive the 10% discount.
- $18 per person (no excess luggage fee)
- Reservation required on website at least 24 hours prior to arrival
- Visit Skylink Shuttle’s website.
- To check their availability for one way trips from RDU, select “ONEWAY” under “Arrivals.”
- Complete the form in its entirety. For Dropoff location, select “NCSU” under School/University. This ensures that you’re given the discounted rate.
- Next, select your service option. Note that the Shared Ride service includes the negotiated NC State discount.
- Once your service has been selected, you’ll be shown the price summary.
- Following that, you’ll be taken to a page where you must enter your drop-off address, contact information and confirm your payment by credit card. Please make sure that your drop-off address includes the building number and street name and not just the apartment complex name (example: use 1983 Wolfpack Street and not 1983 Avery Close Apartments because that won’t work on GPS)
- A confirmation will be provided to you once your reservation is complete. Please read the confirmation carefully for any additional instructions.
Taxis from RDU to NC State University
A taxi from RDU to NC State University and the surrounding area will cost approximately $30-35, depending on where you want to go. Taxi dispatchers are located outside both of the terminals at RDU. The Terminal 1 Taxi Dispatch Booth is located outside Bag Claim 3. At Terminal 2, where most flights will arrive, the booth is located on the lower level outside Bag Claim 1.
Be sure to ask the taxi driver to take you to NC State University, NOT the University of North Carolina. That is a different university in Chapel Hill!
For more information about taxi services and fares, visit the RDU Taxi Services website.