How To Apply
Once you have drafted your personal statement and collected supporting documentation, you are ready to start the application process. Applying for SEH involves (1) getting a recommendation from OIS through the issuance of a new I-20 and then (2) mailing your application to USCIS for their approval.
To request a SEH I-20 from OIS, please contact your OIS advisor to schedule an appointment. Bring copies of the documents you’ve prepared to your meeting so that OIS can make sure you’re eligible for SEH and give you any advice for strengthening your case. If your eligibility is confirmed, OIS will proceed with issuing you a SEH I-20.
While OIS is working on your new I-20 (10 business days processing time), you can prepare the rest of the SEH application materials:
- Form G-1145
- Cover letter briefly explaining that you are applying for SEH and listing all your application materials
- Check or money order for $410 made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
- Two U.S. passport-style photos taken within the past 30 days. Write your name and SEVIS ID or I-94 number on the back of each photo
- Completed Form I-765, using code (C)(3)(iii) in the eligibility category boxes on number 27.
- Copy of SEH I-20 once issued by OIS and signed by you
- Copies of your current immigration documents (I-94, passport, F-1 visa and any previously issued EADs)
- Your personal statement and supporting documentation
- Copy of your current NC State transcript
Submitting The Application To USCIS
Once you receive the SEH I-20 from OIS and you’ve prepared all the materials mentioned above, you are ready to mail your application to USCIS. Before sending, please make sure to copy your entire application for your records.
Send your complete application to USCIS following instructions included in the OIS Mailing & Responsibilities form. We recommend using express mail (i.e. FedEx, UPS, etc.) for speed, safety and tracking.